Thursday, October 27, 2011

The flour trick

Have you ever tried a cookie recipe that seemed so promising, only to have the cookies turn out flat and crunchy?  Maybe you ate someone else's chewy, soft, delicious cookies and  fell in love.  Then you asked for the recipe.  You couldn't wait to try them yourself.  So, you mix them up, bake them, and then they came out of the oven flat.  They are so crunchy you debate whether you should toss the cookies (no pun intended, but it is funny) or if you should crumble them up for an ice cream topping.  Why does this happen?

I discovered a trick, and probably everyone already knows this trick, but it has saved me a lot of failed batches of cookies.  So, in case you didn't know, here it is.



1/2 cup extra flour per patch of cookies.  So if you double your cookie recipes like I do, it would be a full cup of flour.

That's it.  Adding an extra 1/2 cup of flour almost always makes my cookies turn out perfectly.  It doesn't matter what type of cookie it is, sugar, chocolate chip, peanut butter...you name it.  If I add a little extra flour, they are soft and yummy.  They even look really yummy.  :)

Don't add too much flour though, because that is bad for your cookies too. If you add too much flour, all of a sudden you have hockey pucks or door stops.  Your cookie dough should be slightly sticky, but you should be able to handle it to get it on your cookie sheets.

Do you have a trick or a cookie recipe to share with me?  My kids eat a lot of cookies...so does their mother....  lol

1 comment:

  1. I always just figured I was just a very bad chef! I will DEFINITELY be trying that next time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete