Monday, October 17, 2011

Grandma's Potato Soup


I have had a lot of good potato soup, but this is my favorite.  My grandma would make it often and she gave me the recipe!  Even my kids all enjoy it, which is saying something when you find a main dish that all the kids enjoy! 


potatoes
water
milk
1 egg
1 cup flour, plus a pinch of salt
salt to taste

1st, peel, chop, and boil as many potatoes as you need to make enough soup for your family.  For my family I peel about 10-12 large potatoes. (I put a lot of potatoes in since I figure there is a reason it's called 'potato soup'.)  Drain the potatoes, keeping about half of the water.  Pour in milk..enough to replace the water you drained. Bring back to a boil.  Now, here is the secret recipe!

Mix together the egg and flour and pinch of salt. It will be chunky.  These are the rivels.  Once your pot of soup is boiling, crumble the rivels over the pot and boil for at least 1 minute.  Salt and pepper to taste.  I also love to add some parsley and dill weed.


my big pot after scooping 1st helping
 The final touch is something I added to Grandma's recipe.  I like to put in a dollop or 2 of sour cream. It makes it smooth and creamy, and no one knows it's sour cream in there.  (My husband hates sour cream, but he enjoys the soup.)  Make sure your soup has cooled slightly before adding the sour cream because otherwise it will turn greasy.


Once you've served it up into bowls, you can top it with shredded cheese, bacon bits, anything! 

So, guess what we're having for dinner??  My kids even asked for seconds! Score! 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I've never had a potato soup I liked. Bob keeps trying to talk me into making some. This one looks good and doable! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete