Monday, January 2, 2012

Trading vegetable oil for applesauce?

Have you ever tried substituting applesauce for oil?  I have never even heard of it before the other day.  I decided to try it in some muffins to see if it really works, and I was delighted to find that it does!

Here's the recipe for basic muffins. I added chocolate chips in with the dry ingredients to make chocolate chip muffins,  (Much to Chloe's delight) and of course swapped the oil out for 1/3 cup applesauce.

You'll mix all the dry ingredients first, plus the chocolate chips if you're adding those.  Then you will mix the wet ingredients and add it to the dry.  Mix only until moistened, don't over mix!  Fill your muffin tins about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way full and bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.  If you want to make them super yummy, sprinkle some of this mixture over the top BEFORE baking.

3 T. sugar
2 T. brown sugar

                                                            
                                                              And here is the result:

I had a little trouble getting them out of my muffin tins, but that's not the receipes' fault.  I have one of those silicone muffin 'tins' and it doesn't work quite like it should.  Oh well.  They are super yummy anyway!  Now, what other recipes can I swap out the oil for?! 

2 comments:

  1. Those DO look good! I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...those do look good. Is there any difference in the taste (better or worse) or is it about the same?

    ReplyDelete